Obertauern information

Alles rund um Snowkiten

Moderator: KA1111

Obertauern information

Postby IlkkaL » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 am

Hi!

I'm planning a skiing trip from Finland to Obertauern in the middle of January. I'm considering if I should take a kite with me. The trip is mainly for skiing and I'm the only one who kites, so I would at most kite on one or two days during the week there.

Can you tell me about the facilities there? How big is the kiting area and is it likely to be crowded? Is there a school or a shop that would rent kites at Obertauern? What are the winds like on average? My kites are 15m2 and 10m2 foils (Flysurfer Speed 3 DLX and Flysurfer Speed 4). I could probably pack one with me without much trouble but I would rather not take both. Which one should I take with me?

I consider myself a relatively competent snowkiter, but my experience is mostly from frozen lakes with only a couple of times of kiting in more varied terrain and even then it wasn't what you would consider mountains. Anything else you think I should know?

Feel free to answer also in German. I understand it well enough, but prefer to write in English.
IlkkaL
beginner

Re: Obertauern information

Postby Hardy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:51 pm

The area is ok, if there is enough snow and the little trees are covered.
But certainly not comparable to the vastness of your Finnish lakes.
If you just want to take one kite with you, choose the 10m Foilkite.
During the week is not too much going on there so you should have enough space.
I do not know if the school is still working up there?

Try to contact: http://www.hangon-kiteboarding.com for rantal, wind and spot Information.

regards

Hardy
"Sometimes in the morning, when it's a good surf, I go out there, and I don't feel like it's a bad world."

Hardy
pro

Re: Obertauern information

Postby IlkkaL » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info! I sent the guys at Hangon Kiteboarding an email with some questions.

The vastness of Finnish lakes is great for kiting, but mountains and hills are also nice for a change.
IlkkaL
beginner

Return to Snowkiten